1.05.2006

VENGEANCE IS MINE

Once again the nutjob and Christian broadcaster (I've never found the two to be mutually exclusive), Pat Robertson, is in the news. Apparently today Robertson suggested that Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's stroke was divine punishment for dividing God's land.

I'd like to suggest an alternative. Methinks Sharon's stroke was the result of two things: 1) being 77 years old -and 2) the stress of being Prime Minister of Israel, a grueling and thankless job, at an age when he should be playing bingo and knocking back a few bloody Mary's. I'm no medical expert, but I know there's a 100% chance of dying. I'm too lazy to look this up, but I'm sure a stroke is one of the top 5 reasons a 77 year-old hits the EXIT button.

In Romans 12:19, Paul writes, "Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, "VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY," says the Lord. [New American Standard Bible translation]

I sometimes think Paul wasn't the most lucid author given all of the time he spent in jail, but in this case I can only hope he's right about vengeance because then I can trust that in due time, Pat will get the holy ass-whipping he so rightly deserves.