8.23.2006

New meaning to Sleepless in Seattle

I love trying out new hotels, and while I previously stated that I'd stay at the MarQueen Hotel should my travels ever bring me back to Seattle, regrettably they were sold out during my visit last week.

By my count, Noble House has a collection of 12 fantastic resorts/hotels throughout the U.S. On my last trip I strolled past The Edgewater, billed as Seattle's only waterfront hotel, and made a mental note to try and stay there some day.

Last week I had the opportunity, and if you stop reading now, know that The Edgewater is probably a fantastic hotel if you pony up the bucks and book a waterfront guestroom with panoramic view. The view from the sitting area in the lobby is fantastic as is the view from their restaurant, Six Seven (the hotel & restaurant are at Pier 67).

I tend to be a cheap bastard, so I booked a cityside guestroom--bad move. I'm sure these cityside rooms are why the hotel is only ranked #22 out of 114 hotels on TripAdvisor. My room was small--New York City small, and I'm not into the rustic, log cabin look, but whatever. The gas fireplace which also serves as the heat source for the room is a nice touch, but it wasn't cold enough to use it. My room overlooked the porticochere with a view of the parking lot and the railroad tracks. Yes, I said railroad tracks. For those who like to sleep when they're visiting a hotel, know that the trains do run through the night. I seldom say never, so I will instead say that I hope to never return.