8.19.2005

Litmus test for war

I was working tonight listening to "Heaven" by Live thinking about the lyrics:

I don't need no one to tell me about heaven
I look at my daughter, and I believe.
I don't need no proof when it comes to God and truth
I can see the sunset and I perceive


And then it hit me why I'm so against the war in Iraq. It's because my litmus test for war is an affirmative answer to the question, "Would I be willing to send my daughter to serve and die?" Of course my daughter is a toddler, so I'm safe for now, but the question is a valid one. Without skin in the game, the war in Iraq is just academic.

I'd sincerely appreciate hearing a reporter ask the question, "Mr. President, given your willingness to commit troops to Iraq, are you willing to send your daughters to fight and die? And if not, then why?"