8.22.2005

Everyone's final trip--six feet down

I always thought it oddly coincidental that Creed’s Weathered CD with the song ‘One Last Breath’ came out the same year that HBO’s Six Feet Under series launched. The lyrics, “Hold me now. I’m six feet from the edge, and I’m thinking that maybe six feet ain’t so far down,” would have been perfect to use in the show’s theme song if not for the rockin’ melody. I digress…

I was an early and regular fan of HBO’s Six Feet Under, and then life got in the way. Dumb luck along with a free Sunday evening with nothing on TV led me to watch episode 63 entitled “Everyone’s Waiting.” Despite missing the last three seasons of this series, watching the hour-long special before this final episode got me caught up.

If you ever watched Six Feet Under, the final episode is a must-see, if for only the last 15 minutes of the show. When I saw “David James Fisher, 1969 – 2044,” I lost it. I too was born in 1969 and 2044 is only 39 years away. Intellectually I’m ready to meet my creator, but I’m sorry, God, I can’t imagine leaving my wife and daughter. Comprehending our own mortality sucks.